Wednesday, January 2, 2008

NB Southern - Plow Extra Jan 2

After doing some of my own snow removal this morning I thought I would put the scanner on to see what might be going on in the railroad world. Lucky for me I did. Shortly after I started to listen to NBSR frequencies I heard a mention of the Jordan Spreader 402896. What a perfect day to see some snow plow action. So I hopped in the car with my wife Christina. My first stop was Carle Ave. This street is on the west end of the Dever Rd. Yard. More chatter on the scanner indicated they were going to turn 2 locos and the spreader on the wye. The spreader was facing east and they were going to turn it for the trip to McAdam. The 2 locos were GP38s 2317 and 9802. So my first shot of the video is from Carle Ave as the train reversed down to the wye. Saint John received about 25 cm of snow the previous night and it was still going strong as I filmed. Parking was limited so I tried to keep to low traffic spots when possible.
My second shot was at the Acamac Backland Road just outside the yard limits. Third shot was at Grand Bay crossing another road. Fourth shot I decided on using the overpass at
Westfield Beach. It was a little tight on the bridge with not much room with traffic going by. But the angle was well worth it. While I was filming this location Christina hopped in behind the wheel for my next shots. After Westfield Beach heading west the road is close to the tracks. But to pace along with a train you need to be in the passenger side. So having a driver comes in handy.
As we go through Westfield I get some pretty good shots of the spreader doing it's stuff. And finally for my last shot I caught the train crossing Rte 101 in Welsford.
Another person stops to get a picture as I film. Also note the height of the snow banks on the road. I called it quits on chasing after that. The roads were still quite messy and I was quite impressed on the shots I got. I will definitely be sending this one to Rail-Videos.Net.

1 comment:

Adam p. said...

Excellent video! rail-videos.net for sure. Keep up the good work.