Sunday, December 5, 2010

Finally a good NBSR chase..

Yesterday I wanted to catch something train related. My friend Matt was in Moncton shooting trains so jealousy got the best of me.
I went to Carle Ave first just to see what I might hear about an eastbound. Usually there is one on Saturday. As I was waiting, a crew came out to the west end of the Dever Rd Yard. They were using the main line radio frequency which is rare in the yard. I knew something was up. After about 5-10 minutes the crew hooked onto some cars and began to speak with a carman. They spoke about the EOT device and began a brake test. That could only mean one thing. A westbound!
There sure was. 9801 & 2612 were the power for this train. They were hauling a short 19 car train consisting of 9 gypsum cars and 10 ballast cars.
My chase began just outside the yard limits in SJ. From there I never caught up with the train until we were in Grand Bay. So I headed to Westfield Beach to grab a quick shot.
Next I went to Welsford. I wanted to get a shot at Rte 101 to show some of the work being done there, plus get a reading from the hot box detector.
From there I grabbed a quick road side shot in Clarendon and then headed for Blissville. The shot in Blissville is a nice one with two crossings in the shot. First time I've ever shot a westbound there.
Then I made my way to Vespra. I knew there would be a nice shot with the curve. But I also wanted to get a going away shot cause this is where I ended my chase.
Here's the finished product.. What a great chase!

2 comments:

KJ McLean said...

Hi, Dave!

I just thought I would drop you a line and tell you how much I truly enjoy your blog.

I have been a fan of trains since I was a toddler in Welsford, when the Montreal train would wake me up in the morning and signal bedtime at night. When I was older, every time I heard a train whistle during the day, I would run to Station Road or the crossing by the bridge where you shoot and wave as the train went by.

The Montreal train is no more, and I'm now all grown up, but the sound of a train whistle -- especially through my old train-watching grounds -- still gets my blood pumping and puts a huge smile on my face.

Thank you so much for sharing your videos. I really enjoy them. :)

NBSRFAN said...

Your welcome! Thanks for the great comment! I'm glad you enjoy reading my blog.